The Tenth Conference of Heads of States of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) countries commenced in Bandung from 1st - 6th September 1992 concluded, among others, the idea of scholarships provided by the Ministry of Education and Culture. In 1993 the Government of the Republic of Indonesia started offering postgraduate (master degree) scholarship to students from the NAM member countries.
Since 2002, after the cold war ended, the program had been offered not only to the NAM member countries, but also to the developing countries such as Thailand, Fiji, South Korea, Suriname, Guyana, Turkey, Vietnam, and Vanuatu. In fact, this program had attracted more applicants, and by 2009 was recorded that 476 students from 42 countries had beed awarded this scholarship.
Due to the international political escalation, the use of the term "NAM" was considered irrelevant. Therefore, the program had been changed to Beasiswa Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) or Developing Countries Partnership program on Scholarship.
The objectives of the scholarship are:
Promoting deeper cultural understanding among developing countries;
Strengthening the relationship and mutual cooperation among the participating countries;
Contributing to the development of human resource quality.
The scholarship is provided for foreign students to do t heir Master Degree program in one of 13 prominent universities in Indonesia on study program as listed below:
a. Field of Study
(Be advised that not every university offers the following fields of study)
1. Literary studies
||6. Cultural studies|
1. Chemical Engineerng
6. Geological Eng.
|2. Civil Engineering
||7. Information Eng.|
|3. Architectural Engineering
|4. Electrical Engineering
|5. Naval Architect & Marine Eng.
||10. Mechanical Eng|
1. Public Administration
7. Communication &
|2. Political Science
||8. International Relations|
||11. Community Empowerment|
|6. Economics/Development Study
MULTI - DISCIPLINARY STUDIES
1. Performing Arts & Arts Studies
3. Comparative Religoius Studies
|2. Tourism Studies
||4. Bio Technology|
1. Indonesian Education
7. Applied Linguistics
|2. Education Science
||8. History Education|
|3. Social Science Education
||9. Instructional Education|
|4. Natural Science Education
||10. Educational Management|
|5. Primary School Teacher Edcuation
||11. Educational Research & Evaluation|
|6. Out of School Education/ Informal Education
||12. Vocational & Technology Education|
||9. Environmental Sciences|
||10. Public Health|
||11. Sport sciences|
|5. Remote Sensing
||12. Medical Studies|
||13. Pharmacy Studies|
1. Plant Pathology
8. Veterinary Science
||9. Agricultural Engineering|
|3. Soil Sciences
||10. Marine Science|
||12. Animal Science|
|6. Agricultural Economics
||13. Estate Crop Product Technology|
|7. Food Sciences & Technology
b. Period of study
Master Preparatory Programs
||24 months (4 semesters|
Language instruction in lectures is recommended in Bahasa Indonesia.
Thesis should be written in Bahasa Indonesia unless the university suggested otherwise.
Research should be carried out in Indonesia.
a. Financial Assistance
Settlement Allowance of Rp. 1.000.000,- will be given upon arrival in Indonesia;
While taking the Indonesian language course and preparatory program, a student will receive Rp. 1.650.000,- / month (cost of living only);
During their Master Program in Indonesia, the students will receive monthly allowances as follows:
- Living Allowance = Rp.1.650.000,-
- Research Allowance = Rp. 400.000,-
- Books Alllowance = Rp. 350.000,-
4. The scholarship will be provided for a maximum of 36 months period of study;
5. A round-trip international airfare (economy class) from the international airport of the student's home countries to Indonesia, including local transport to the host university;
Note: Other expences beside those mentioned above will be borne by the students.
b. Health Insurance
The student is subjected to a health insurance;
Health Insurance shall cover selected medical services with a maximum of Rp. 150.000,- monthly premi;
In case of the cost of medical services exceeded to those covered by the health insurance, the difference should be borne by the student
Maximum age is 35 years old;
Posses a bachelor degree or equivalant;
Have a TOEFL score of 450 or equivalent;
Complete the on-line application form;
He/she must be nominated by the Indonesian Embassy in the repective country;
Prio to the departure to Indonesia, the Successful candidates will be required to sign a statement letter provided by the KNB Scholarship management.
a. Required Doduments:
(1) Nomination letter from the Indonesian Embassy in the respective country;
(2) Nomination letter from the respective government official;
(3) 2 Academic Recommendation letter;
(4) Scanned passport (personal data page only) or birth certificates;
(5) Scanned bachelor certificate and academic transcripts (in English);
(6) Scanned TOEFL score certificate obtained within the last 2 years;
(7) Scanned Medical Statement.
(1) Download invitation letter from the KNB Scholarship website:www.knb.dikti.go.id;
(2) Bring the invitation letter, passport or birth certificate, academic certificate and academic transcripts to the Indonesian Embassy to acquire the nomination letter;
(3) Complete the on line application process;
(4) Selection process;
(5) The selection results will be published in the KNB Scholarship website and through the Indonesian Embassy Publication channel;
a. The application process must be completed no later than end of April;
b. Selection will be conducted on May;
c. The selection result will be announced by the end of May;
d. The students should have arrived in Jakarta by the end of August;
e. Orientation will be organized in September;
f. The Indonesian language course will start in early September.
ARRIVAL IN INDONESIA
a. Visa Arrangement
(1) Short - Visit Visa (VITAS)
Prior to the departure to Indonesia, the successful candidates will be using a Short - Visit Visa (VITAS) that can be obtained from the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in the candidate's home country. Soon after the arrival in Indonesia, the visa should be conversed to the Limited Staying Permit (ITAS) for 1 (one) year through a Local Immigration Office where the candidate will study.
Please be advised that the successful candidates must report to the Local Immigration Office within 7 days upon the time of arrival to get the Stay - Permit (ITAS).
(2) Social - Visit Visa (VKSB)
Social Visit Visa (VKSB) can also be used to entering Indonesia. It can be obtained from the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia where the student lives. Soon after the arrival in Indonesia, the visa should be conversed to get Limited Staying Permit (ITAS) for 1 (one) year.
While studying in Indonesia, student or KNB scholarship holders may go overseas as long as they obtain an Exit Re-Entry Permit (ERP) or Exit Permit Only (EPO) stamped on their passport by the Local Immigration Office.
Please be advised the successful candidates are prohibited to use the Tourist Visa to study in Indonesia, since it will cause a problem in processing the Stay - Permit.
(3) The student is expected to have a valid passport for a minimum of 2 (two) years.
b. Departure to Indonesia
(1) The successful candidate are expected to dapart to Indonesia by the end of August;
(2) As soon as the visa is obtained and the date of departure is confirmed, the Directorate General of Higher Education will manage to set up the travel arrangements for the successful candidate's departure to Indonesia:
(3) Ministry of National Education will deliver the necessary arrangements to meet all the arriving students at the Soekarno - Hatta International Airport;
(4) Students are strongly advised not to be accompanied by any family member since the KNB Scholarship monthly stipend is basically estimated for only one person for a proper living in Indonesia.
a. Return home after finishing study
Student who has accomplished their study should contact the host university no more than 30 days prior to their departure so as to allow time for preparing necessary documents and travel arrangement. The day of departure should not exceed either the period of their scholarship or one month after yudisium (not the graduation day).
b. Excess Baggage
The Indonesian government does not provide additional money for excess baggage and book transportations.
c. Temporary return
When the student wishes to leave Indonesia temporarily for a personal reason, he/she must:
(1) have a letter of recommendation from the host university;
(2) have a round - trip international ticket;
(3) cover cost of exit re-entry permit.
During the leave, he/she will not receive any monthly allowance.
d. Drop-out / Aborting study
In case students return home due to personal reasons or beacause they can not complete their study (e.g. inability to complete the study or violating the Indonesian government or university regulations), the following points apply:
(1) Students should inform the Director of Graduate Program of the host university;
(2) Students must inform their government official/representative in written to explain the nature of the problems that have forced them to quit from the study;
(3) Students must bear the cost of the International airfares.
The Government of the Republic of Indonesia will not provide any lodging or board for the KNB scholarship students. However, the host university will assist them in finding a suitable boarding house/accommodation.
b. Holiday/Study Leave
The Indonesian government does not provide any funding, except the sholarship. Any other costs for personal reasons or vacations will be the responsiblity of the student's responsiblity.
c. Dressing Decency
Students are advised to wear decent/appropriate clothes when they visit government offices and public places, and attend classes in campus.
1. Directorate of Institutional Affairs and Collaboration
Directorate General of Higher Education
Ministry of Education and Culture of Republic of Indonesia
D Building, 6th Floor Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan, Jakarta 10270
Phone : +6221 57946063
Fax : +6221 57946062
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation
Ministry of Education and Culture of Republic of Indonesia
C Building, 7th Floor
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan, Jakarta 10270
Tel/Fax: +6221 5738181, 5709446/45, 5724707
3. Director of Public Diplomacy
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Indonesia
Jalan Taman Pejambon No.6m Jakarta