Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The government is designing a new structure for its efforts to rid the judicial system of case brokers - a job so far carried out by the Judicial Mafia Eradication Task Force, a senior minister said.
The tenure of the Task Force which was set up based on a presidential decree in 2009 expired last Dec 30, 2011 but the government intends to continue its mission through a new structure currently being devised by the task force`s chairman, Koentoro Mangkusubroto, Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Djoko Suyanto said here Monday.
"So the task force is no more but a new structure is to continue its work," Djoko said at the presidential palace.
The government still needed a body to fight judicial mafias as the now defunct task force had proven to be very helpful to the president, especially in law enforcement tasks, he said.
Meanwhile, Koentoro Mangkusubroto told reporters that during its two-year existence until last December 23 , the task force had received a total of about 5,000 reports or complaints on judicial mafia practices from members of the public.
Of the number, 4,401 reports or complaints had been studied and acted on while the rest would still be handled in the days ahead.
During the two years it had been in operation, the task force had spent about Rp9 billion in state funds, he said.