Researcher(s) from other countries are welcome to carry out research in Indonesia. In accordance with the Indonesian regulation (Govt. Regulation no. 41/ 2006),
all foreign researchers doing research activities in Indonesia must
obtain an official permit from the Indonesian authority in advanced. To obtain research permit, researchers need to submit application online through frp.ristek.go.id and send a copy of documments submitted to the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in New York.
Getting the Research Permit
- Set up account on frp.ristek.go.d
- Submit all required documments through online processs on to your account
- Send copy of application to the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in New York
- After adding its evaluation and comment, the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia will send researchers'application to Jakarta while also issuing recommendation letter for researchers
- Researchers need to submit recommendation letter issued by the Consulate to complete his/her online application.
- Clearing House team in Jakarta will issue research permit upon approval decided at evaluation meeting
- Upon approval of research permit, Immigration office in Jakarta will issue visa authorization number to be sent to the Consulate
- A formal letter of request to do research in Indonesia, a copy of
which is addressed to the Indonesian Representative abroad (e.g.
Indonesian Ambassador, Consul General, or Consul). This letter should
explicitly state the address of the Indonesian Representative from which
the researcher will obtain the visa. If this address is not given, it
can cause delays in some cases.
- A copy of detailed research proposal, which should has a title,
stated objectives, and description of the methodology and concepts. It
must clearly state the locations where field research will be done. If
the work is to be done from one or more field stations, please indicate
which one will be the Research Base Station.
- A copy of the researcher's curriculum vitae (CV) including a
list of publications. For applications with multiple number of
researchers, each researcher must submit his /her CV.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a professor or
equivalent senior researcher in the researcher's discipline and the
other from an official of the researcher's home institute or university.
- Letter(s) of acceptance from Indonesian Counterpart (an Indonesian academic institution and/or a Research Centre).
- A letter guaranteeing sufficient funds to cover research and
living expenses in Indonesia and fees for the Indonesian Counterpart(s).
- Health certificate from a medical doctor stating that the
researcher is in good health, both physically and mentally, to carry out
research in Indonesia.
- A letter of recommendation from an Indonesian Representative abroad.
- Four recent red background passport size (4x6 cm) photographs, and two copies of 2x3 cm size photographs.
- A copy of the researcher's passport. Note: the passport must
be valid for at least six months after the date of completing research
- A list of the equipment brought to Indonesia, if any, to
support the research. The value of these equipment should be stated in
- If a researcher plans to bring his/her spouse and children to
Indonesia, the researcher must submit a copy of marriage certificate,
spouse's curriculum vitae, children's birth certificate, four recent
photographs of each family member and a copy of his/her family's
The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia will only process visa application after researchers obtain research permit and visa authorizaiton number from Indonesian authorities.
- The original passport with at least six (6) months of validity from the date of submission
- The passport must also be valid for at least six (6) months from the date of entry into Indonesia
- The passport must contain at least one (1) blank visa page. Amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa purposes
- Two recent color photographs (passport-size) with white background on picture-quality paper
- Completed and signed application form (download here)
- Copy of Airline tickets or copy of Itinerary
under 18 years of age should attach a notarized copy of birth
certificate. In addition, a notarized letter of consent signed by
non-traveling legal guardian must be attached if the applicant under 18
years of age travels without the legal guardian
Payment in money order $105 (one year) and $55 (6 months) payable to Indonesian Consulate