Before applying for Journalist or Filming Visa, applicants need to obtain a journalist or filming permit and visa authorization number from Office in Jakarta. The whole process of Visa Issuance might take time two until three months. Please follow below steps to start application for journalist or filming permit:
Step 1. Permit Application
Applicants need to submit following documents to start permit application
- CompletedJournalist Form.pdf or
Filming Form.pdf. The forms include following details:
Request letter to Indonesian Consulate, with attention to the Consul for Information and Cultural Affairs, stating:
- Form A and B (personal data of crew members) MUST BE filled out by each member.
- Form C to Release Statement Form apply for the team as a whole.
- Form E (synopsis) is for filming permit only.
- All forms MUST BE typed not handwritten.
Copy passport of crew members1 passport size of latest photograph of each crew memberSupport letter from fixer or counterpart in Indonesia
- The purpose of visit
- The intended itinerary (schedule of locations) with the duration of stay
- Names of crew members
Application can be submitted in person, by mail or via email.
Submission by Mail to
Information and Cultural Affairs
The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia
5 East 68th Street
New York, NY 10065
or email to
Step 2. Approval
- All above application will be transmitted to Jakarta along with evaluation and additional recommendation from Indonesian Consulate.
- The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia will inform the applicant about decision made in Jakarta. The Consulate has no obligation to disclose any reason or explanation related to that decision.
- Decision of approval or disapproval may take approximately 1 (one) month from the date of application transmission to Jakarta.
- Once approval received, a visa authorization numbers will be requested to Immigration Office in Jakarta (authorization number may take approximately 1 (one) month to be issued).
- Please be noted that The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia can not issue visa without visa authorization number issued by Immigration Office in Jakarta.
Step 3. Visa Application
After obtaining approval and visa authorization number, applicants can apply and collect their visa by bringing following documents to the Consulate:
- The original passport with at least six (6) months of validity from the date of submission
- The passport must also be valid for at least six (6) months from the date of entry into Indonesia
- The passport must contain at least one (1) blank visa page. Amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa purposes
- Two recent color photographs (passport-size) with white background on picture-quality paper
- Completed and signed Visa Application Form.docx
- Copy of Airline tickets or copy of Itinerary
- Money order payable to Indonesian Consulate (see
Visa and Consular Fee for reference)
1. The Consulate would not suggest the applicants to issue any travelling ticket during the process.
2. The Consulate is not responsible for any ticket issued or any travel and schedule changed by other parties.
3. The Consulate is not in capacity to grant the permit. It is under the authorization of Immigration Head Quarter in Jakarta.