The Kemitraan Negara Bekembang (KNB) Scholarship was first introduced by Ministry of Education and Culture in 1992. It initially serve the Ministry's higher education development strategic plan to embrace the higher education globalization by providing financial assistance (scholarship) to the selected Universities to recruit potential International students to get their master degree in those Universities. However, considering how this program has been significantly contribute in the human resources development in our neighboring developing countries, we were then decided to expand the program coverage and the number of scholarship offered has been significantly increased. Up to 2016, we have been admitting more than 954 students coming from 78 developing countries around the world.
We know that most of future applicants might be thinking: is spending 3 years in Indonesia to obtain their master degree worth it? And the answer is a resounding yes, getting the KNB scholarship and going to a master degree program in Indonesia is strategically worth it. Their master degree will be one of the most lucrative investments they will make and that KNB scholarship can be vital to their post-college success while engaging in the most diverse and vibrant society in the world. Moreover, the program is very important not only to advance their knowledge and develop their competencies but also in certain degrees will strengthen the relationship between Indonesia and its neighboring developing countries by helping them nurturing their future leader.
Considering the recent development and potentials, we have adjusted the KNB scholarship guidance to give the potential applicants as much information as possible on how to apply for the scholarship, and also highlight the best ways to boost their chances of receiving this scholarship. We do hope that this scholarship guidance will adequately assist the potential applicants to apply for the scholarship and to understand and comply with the scholarship rules and regulations.
B. Brief Introduction
The Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship is a financial assistance offered by the Indonesian Government to International students coming from developing countries to pursue their master degree in Indonesian Universities. Initially, the idea of offering scholarships by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia for the student coming from the NAM member countries was mandated in the 10th Conference of Heads of States of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) countries commenced in Bandung from 1st – 6th September 1992. Following that mandate, in 1993 the Government of the Republic of Indonesia started offering postgraduate (master degree) scholarships to students from the NAM member countries.
Since 2002, due to the substantial change in the international political constellation, the use of the term "NAM" in this program was considered irrelevant. The program name then changed to Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (Developing Countries Partnership) Scholarship or KNB Scholarship. Consequently, the program have been widely offered to students, not only to the NAM member countries, but also to other developing countries such as Thailand, Fiji, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Madagascar, Suriname, Pakistan, Guyana, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, and Vanuatu.
In 2015, the Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia took over the KNB Scholarship management. Some improvements have been made to better the scholarship management, both administratively and operationally. There are a couple of significant adjustments have been made so far: the scholarship coverage and quota were expanded and 2 prominent Universities were added to host the program (it makes a total of 16 host Universities).
C. Program Objectives
1. To contribute in the human resource development in the developing countries;
2. To promote deeper cultural understanding between developing countries;
3. To strengthen the relationship and cooperation between developing countries.
D. Study Programs
The scholarship is offered to potential students from the developing Countries to get their Master Degree in wide range of field of study (please be advised that the study program offered is differs between university):
1. Literary studies
6. Cultural studies
1. Chemical Engineering
2. Civil Engineering
3. Architectural Engineering
4. Electrical Engineering
5. Naval Architect & Marine Engineering
6. Geological Engineering
7. Informatics Engineering
10. Mechanical Engineering
5. Remote Sensing
9. Environmental Sciences
10. Public Health
11. Sports sciences
12. Pharmacy Studies
1. Public Administration
2. Political Science
6. Economics/Development Study
7. Communication & Media
9. International Relations
12. Community Empowerment
1. Indonesian Education
2. Educational Science
3. Social Science Education
4. Natural Science Education
5. Primary School Teacher Education
6. Out of School Education/ Informal Education
7. Applied Linguistics
8. History Education
9. Instructional Education
10. Educational Management
11. Educational Research & Evaluation
12. Vocational & Technology Education
Please contact the University's official as listed in the annex attached to this manual book for further information about the study programs offered.
E. Medium of Instruction
All courses will be delivered in Bahasa Indonesia.
Thesis should be written in Bahasa Indonesia unless the university suggested otherwise.
Research should be carried out in Indonesia.
F. Scholarship Coverage and Duration
The KNB Scholarship covers:
1. A Settlement Allowance of IDR 1,000,000 will be given to new students upon their arrival in Indonesia;
2. While taking the Indonesian language course and preparatory programs, the new students will only receive a Living Allowance of IDR 2,550,000 per month;
3. During the Master Program, the KNB students will receive a scheme of monthly allowance as detailed below:
|1 ||Living Allowance ||IDR 2,550,000|
|2 ||Research Allowance ||IDR 400,000|
|3 ||Books Allowance ||IDR 350,000|
4. A health insurance with a maximum of IDR 200,000 monthly premium (In case of the cost of medical services exceeded to those covered by the health insurance, the difference should be borne by the student);
5. A round-trip international airfare (economy class) from the international airport of the student's home countries to Indonesia, including local transport to the host university;
6. The duration of scholarship is exclusively correlated to the duration of the academic program as indicated below:
|No ||Program ||Duration |
|1 ||Indonesian Language Course and Master Preparatory Program ||Max. 12 months |
|2 ||Master Program ||Max. 24 months (4 semester) |
|3 ||Bachelor Program ||Max. 48 months (8 semester) |
The scholarship is paid for 12 calendar months each academic year during the normal period of study, except the last academic year of the normal period of study when the scholarship is paid for 8 months. Please be advised that in case of early program completion, all scholarships payment will be stopped by the time the awardee set off for home (returning to home country).
7. Please be advised that the scholarship scheme will only sufficient to cover one person to living properly in most cities where the universities are located.
* Note: Other expenses beside above mentioned items will be considered as personal expenses and will be borne by the students.
- Maximum age is 35 years old;
- Posses a bachelor degree (master degree holder is not eligible to apply);
- Have a TOEFL (or other certified English Proficiency) score of 500 or equivalent;
- Complete the on-line application form;
- Prior to the departure to Indonesia, the successful candidates will have to sign a statement letter provided by the KNB Scholarship management.
H. How to Apply
All application process is conducted online through the KNB Scholarship website www.knb.ristekdikti.go.id. Please be advised that soliciting is prohibited.
a. Required Documents
- Recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy in the respective country;
- Nomination letter from the respective government official;
- 2 Academic Recommendation letters;
- Scanned passport (personal data page only) or birth certificate;
- Scanned bachelor certificate and academic transcripts (in English);
- Scanned TOEFL score certificate obtained within the last 2 Years;
- Scanned Medical Statement from government hospital.
b. Application Procedures
- Download the Invitation Letter posted in the KNB Scholarship website;
- Submit the Invitation letter, Passport, Academic Certificates and Academic Transcripts to the Indonesian Embassy to acquire the recommendation letter;
- Complete the online application process;
- Selection process;
- The Selection Results will be published online in the KNB Scholarship Website and officially announced through the Indonesian Embassy publication network;
During the application process, please pay close attention to some important information below:
- We strongly suggest you to collect as many information as possible on the universities and your desired study program. Please be advised that once you are admitted, changing either the universities or your study program is strictly prohibited.
- The recommendation letter from Indonesian Embassy is a mandatory. The recommendation letter will be issued based on verification and necessary background and/or security checks conducted by the Indonesian Embassy. In case of no Indonesian official representative in your country, you need to obtain the letter from any Indonesian Embassy accredited to your country.
- All the required documents have to be written or officially translated in English.
- The participants from English speaking country are not automatically excluded from the requirement to attach the written prove of their English proficiency.
- The universities will be conducting a series of the selection methods including (if necessary) online interview with the potential candidates.
1. Online Application, not later than April 30th 2017;
2. Selection process, 1st week of June 2017;
3. Selection result, 4th week of June 2017;
4. Arrival of Students in Jakarta, August 30th 2017;
5. Orientation Program, August 31st 2017.
- Directorate General of Science, Technology, and Higher Education Institutional Affairs
Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan, Jakarta 10270
Phone : +6221 57946063 / Fax: +6221 57946062
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of Public Diplomacy
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia
Jalan Taman Pejambon No. 6, Jakarta ; Phone : +6221 3813480 / Fax : +6221 3858035
|No||University||Address, Phone, Website, Email||Contact Person|
|1. ||Institut Pertanian Bogor|
Gedung Sekolah Pascasarjana Lt. 3
Kampus IPB Darmaga, Bogor
Ph.: +622518628448/Fax.: +622518425411
1. Fatmasari Siregar
2. Fielda Aisyiah
|2. ||Institut Teknologi Bandung |
International Relations Office,
Jl. Ganesha No. 17, Bandung.
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Tatacipta Dirgantara
2. Fida Madayanti Warganegara
|3. ||Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember |
International Office ITS
Gedung Rektorat Lt.1, Kampus ITS Keputih- Sukolilo, Surabaya 60111
Ph.: +62315994251 ext. 1224
Website: www.its.ac.id / Www.international.its.ac.id
|Maya Shovitri |
|4. ||Universitas Airlangga |
Ruang Amerta lt. 2 Kantor Manajemen
Kampus C Universitas Airlangga
Mulyorejo Surabaya 60115
Phone: +62315966864/Fax: +62315915551
Email : email@example.com
|Irfan Wahyudi |
|5. ||Universitas Atma Jaya Yogyakarta |
Partnership and Promotion Office
Jl. Babarsari No. 44 Yogyakarta 55281
Ph. +62-274-487711 ext. 2110/ 2111
|Agus Putranto |
|6. ||Universitas Diponegoro |
Kantor Urusan Internasional
Jl. Prof. H. Soedarto, SH, Semarang 50275
Ph. : +62247465402
|Ita Widowati |
|7. ||Universitas Gadjah Mada |
Office of International Affairs
Bulaksumur F13 Depok Sleman
|Roro Retno Wiyati |
|8. ||Universitas Indonesia |
Gedung Pusat Administrasi Lantai 1
Kampus Universitas Indonesia
Depok , Jawa Barat - 16424
|Alfrida Hutapea |
|9. ||Universitas Katolik Parahyangan |
Jalan Ciumbuleuit 94, Bandung 4014
Ph.: +62222032576/Fax: +62222031110
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|10. ||Universitas Muhammadiyah Malang |
Jl. Raya Tlogo Mas No. 246, Malang
Ph.: +62341414368/Fax.: +62341460435
|11. ||Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta |
Jl. A. Yani Tromol Pos 1
Kartasura, Surakarta 57162
Ph: +62271717417/Fax: +62271715448
|12. ||Universitas Negeri Malang |
Office of International Affairs,
Gedung Sasana Budaya Lt.1
Jl. Semarang 5, Malang 65145
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
|Sugiarti Masykur |
|13. ||Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta |
Jl. Colombo, Karangmalang,
1. Retna Hidayah
2. Shinta Putri
|14. ||Universitas Padjadjaran |
Gedung Rektorat Lt.1
Kampus UNPAD Jatinangor,
Jl. Raya Bandung Sumedang Km.21,
Ph.: +622284288801/Fax.: +622284288891
|Supian Muanawar |
|15. ||Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia |
Kntor OIER, Gedung University Centre Lt.1
Jl. Dr. Setiabudhi No.229, Bandung, 40154
Ph. & Fax.: +62222013313
|Dianni Risda |
|16. ||Universitas Sebelas Maret |
Jl. Ir. Sutami 36A surakarta 57126
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|Tika Mustika |
PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE OF KNB 2017 at www.knb.ristekdikti.go.id