The President of the Republic of Indonesia
H.E. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
The President of the Republic of Turkey
H.E. Abdullah Gül
The Recent Developments in Libya
Jakarta, 5 April 2011
1. During the bilateral meeting in Jakarta on the 5th of April 2011, the President of the Republic of Indonesia, H.E. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, and the President of the Republic of Turkey, H.E. Abdullah Gül, discussed the recent developments in the Middle East and North Africa, including that taking place in Libya.
2. The two Presidents have been following very closely and with profound concern the situation in Libya prior to and after the adoption of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973 (2011).
3. The two Presidents stressed the importance of preservation of the sovereignty, national unity and territorial integrity of Libya.
4. In this connection, the two Presidents underscored the need for an immediate and effective cease-fire and an end to hostilities to bring about a complete end to the violence against long-suffering innocent civilians. They underlined the need for a United Nations presence to monitor the compliance of the ceasefire, once it is established in Libya. They attached utmost importance to the immediate facilitation of unimpeded humanitarian assistance to the Libyan people.
5. They also called on the United Nations to work closely with relevant regional organizations to promote conditions conducive for a peaceful, democratic and sustainable political settlement reflecting the aspiration and the will of the Libyan people.
6. The two Presidents expressed their commitment to contribute to such endeavor under the auspices of the United Nations.