The purposes of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are designed based on the identification of potentials and problems to be faced in its effort to realize the vision and perform the missions of the Ministry. The purposes are as follows:
1. To improve and strengthen the bilateral and regional relations and cooperation in various sectors in Asia Pacific and Africa.
2. To improve the bilateral relations and cooperation with countries and organizations from America and Europe.
3. To demonstrate Indonesia's role and leadership of in ASEAN cooperation, to participate in the process of integration of ASEAN Community 2015 which benefits Indonesia which is independent, advanced, united, democratic, safe, just, and prosperous.
4. To take on a more active role in creating international peace and security, advancement and protection of human rights, and development of economy, socio-culture, finance, environment, trade, industry, investment, and protection of intellectual rights by strengthening regional and multilateral cooperation.
5. To create a more positive image of Indonesia through provision of accurate information and better understanding of Indonesian foreign policy among stakeholders in the country and the international community.
6. To optimize diplomacy through the management of law and international agreements which are safe in terms of political, legal, technical and security aspects.
7. To provide better services in protocol, consular, diplomatic facility and protection of Indonesian citizens/Indonesian legal entities overseas.
8. To improve the quality of foreign policy through review and development of policy, making it more effective in advancing the national interest.
9. To improve the quality of internal capacity of the Ministry to enforce the applicable laws and regulations.
10. To improve the institutional structure, human resources, infrastructure and facilities, planning coordination, management, reporting of performance and budget as well as administrative support for successful implementation of foreign policy.