The 12th ASEM Summit (ASEM12) will be held on 18 and 19 October 2018 in Brussels.
1. MEDIA ACCREDITATION
Journalists holding a European Council 6-month badge do not need to register (6-month badges not yet collected will be available at the LEX building).
For other journalists, applications for accreditation can only be made on-line.
APPLICATION DEADLINE 26 September 2018, 16.00
The same press accreditation will be valid for both the ASEM summit and the European Council meeting of 18 October.
IMPORTANT / Only for media representatives of Belgian nationality or residing in Belgium: please note that since 1 June 2018, a new Belgian law foresees a 50€ fee to be paid by employers of any individual undergoing security screening. The screening has currently a validity of 6 months. An invoice will be sent to your employer (or to you in case contact details were missing) by Belgian authorities at a later stage. Security screening is compulsory for all media representatives.
· Before starting the registration process, make sure you have:
o a recent ID-size photograph in JPEG format (.jpg)
o the number of your passport or identity card
o The scan of a letter confirming you are a bona fide journalist assigned to cover the event. Media representatives holding an EU or a Belgian official press card (delivered by the interior ministry) may upload this card instead of the letter. No other press cards are accepted.
· For media representatives of Belgian nationality or residing in Belgium: you will be asked to print, sign and upload a form to give your authorisation to be security screened by the Belgian authorities.
· Under certain conditions it is possible to organise a group registration/collection of badges for journalists working for the same media. For more, see info sheet. Please note that those users who do not have yet their ID/passport uploaded in the system will need to come collect the badge in person.
· You may be asked to send additional documents/information to demonstrate that you fulfil the media accreditation criteria. For more information on our accreditation policy, see our terms and conditions.
· You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt by email and you may access your profile at any time to check the status of your application.
Accreditation badges must be collected at the LEX building, 145 rue de la Loi, Brussels
The opening hours will be confirmed at a later stage.
2. INDICATIVE PROGRAMME OF THE CONFERENCE
The summit is expected to start around 19:00 on Thursday 18 October and to finish mid-afternoon on Friday 19 October. A detailed media programme will follow.
3. PHOTO/TV OPPORTUNITIES
Arrivals/Departures doorsteps areas and the final press conference are accessible to all accredited media.
Due to limited space, the following photo/TV opportunities will be subject to the possession of group cards:
- roundtable at the beginning of the opening session on 18 October
- roundtable at the beginning of the plenary session on 19 October
- the family photo on 19 October
Group cards will be attributed through the participating delegations. Any interested media is therefore advised to contact his/her country delegation.
4. PRESS CENTRE
The press centre will be installed in the Justus Lipsius building (JL) and will include:
- press areas for images and doorsteps at the Europa Building Forum
- around 500 work places equipped Internet Wifi connection (SSID "Consilium" - no password required) and power supply;
- a limited number of analogue telephone lines and ISDN connections;
- closed-circuit television carrying host broadcaster pictures and press information in different areas of the press centre;
- the main press conference room in Justus Lipsius building (level 00) for the final press conference;
- Briefing room for participating delegations will be located in the Justus Lipsius press area.
- meals, refreshments and light cold meals can be bought at self-service restaurant on level 01 or the press bar on level 00.
NB/ Media representatives may reserve work places by means of a label indicating their name and media organisation. The press office cannot reserve work places. Reserved places not occupied at the beginning of the summit may be taken by others.
DELIVERY AND REMOVAL OF TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT
· Delivery and installation of technical equipment
Delivery and installation of technical equipment must be carried out between 07.30 and 17.00 on Tuesday 16 October only via the following entrance point:
o "Froissart", Rue Froissart 112: this greatly facilitates unloading but may be used only for vehicles up to a maximum height of 2.30 m; or
o "Etterbeek", Chaussée d'Etterbeek 70, for all vehicles.
After the equipment has been unloaded, a member of the security office will accompany you to the press centre. A few trolleys will be available. Delivery vehicles must leave the area of the Justus Lipsius building immediately after unloading.
· Removal of technical equipment
The equipment must be removed, depending on the end of the meeting:
o on Friday 19 October, after the security perimeter has been lifted; or
o on Saturday 20 October between 08.00 and 18.00 via the Etterbeek entrance.
Please send your request before 17.00 on 12 October specifying:
1) the name of the transporter of the equipment or the media team;
2) the names of team members;
3) the registration number of the vehicle delivering/collecting the equipment;
4) the expected time of arrival
Stavros SPYRIDONOS & Giuseppe ANCONETANI
Mobile: +32 (0)473 64 05 07 / +32 (0)476 48 13 00 presse.dec
5. AUDIOVISUAL FACILITIES
· Facilities for TV stations
TV editing rooms with telephones and ISDN connections, equipped for reception of the host broadcaster TV signal.
For services provided by the Eurovision/EBU (distribution of signals, multilateral or unilateral transmission and reservation of editing rooms on a "first come, first served" basis), please see the information distributed to TV stations by the EBU.
Contact: Dounia WOLTECHE, Eurovision Special Events
GSM: +32 (0)474 67 39 11
· Satellite vehicle parking/booking of stand-up positions
Parking places for satellite TV and radio broadcasting vehicles are located on the Place Jean Rey behind the Council building. Fibre connections with the matrix room in the Justus Lipsius building will be available.
In order to park on the place Jean Rey, you must send your request for a parking permit to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 17.00 on Friday 22 June at the latest and include the following information: registration number, name of driver and telephone
number. Permits for satellite vans will be issued by the security service, and any changes to the above information after the deadline could result in difficulties or delays in gaining access.
The live stand-up positions are located in the Atrium (mezzanine).
Advance booking is essential as the number of positions available is limited. Deadline: 17.00 on Friday 22 June.
Tel. +32 (0) 2 281 68 29 / Mobile: +32 (0) 473 52 19 64 e-mail: email@example.com
For extra temporary ISDN connections, you have to contact the provider of your choice and inform the press centre - tel 0032 (0)2 281 9000 - firstname.lastname@example.org
· Facilities for radio stations
Each radio booth is equipped with a telephone (analogue connection), an ISDN connection and Wi-Fi internet access.
The EBU radio department will be responsible for the distribution of signals. Additional
ISDN connections must be booked directly from the EBU radio department
Contact EBU Radio News Producer: Radio-Ops@ebu.ch
· Radio and TV studios
The Council radio and TV studios can be booked for interviews with members of the delegations participating in the meeting. Conditions of use can be found online: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/tv-radio-studios.
6. HOST BROADCASTER
The Council audiovisual service will be the host broadcaster of the summit.
All host broadcaster footage can be downloaded in broadcast quality (MPEG-4 - 16/9 format) from http://tvnewsroom.consilium.europa.eu (arrivals, doorsteps, round table, family photo and press conferences).
A selection of photographs taken by Council photographers will be published on http://tvnewsroom.consilium.europa.eu/photos. The high-resolution photographs can be also downloaded and used free of charge for non-commercial use (provided the copyright "European Union" is mentioned).
Public parts of the summit can be watched via the Council streaming platform at http://video.consilium.europa.eu
Europe by satellite may also broadcast part of the proceedings. For more information, check the Ebs schedule.
Journalists needing a visa are advised to register as soon as possible.
Media representatives must hold a valid visa, if required, to enter the Belgian territory. They are therefore advised to obtain their visa in advance by presenting the necessary documentation to the Belgian consular office competent for their country of residence.
Once the request for accreditation is completed online, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt by email. You must print this email and include it to your visa request. We strongly advise media representatives to apply for a visa as soon as possible.
For more information regarding visa procedures, you can visit the following website:
Please note that media representatives needing a visa to access the Belgian territory are advised to request accreditation as soon as possible.
8. SECURITY MEASURES
Access to the press centre in Justus Lipsius building will be through a dedicated security point and on presentation of the nominative accreditation badge and proof of identity. All participants will undergo a security check. Any additional security measures may be communicated at a later stage if relevant.
9. ACCOMMODATION & OTHER PRACTICAL INFORMATION
The General Secretariat of the Council does not organise centralised booking for media accommodation.
A list of hotels as well as other information on the Brussels region can be found on the visit
Brussels website: http://visitbrussels.be/
Please note that no transport will be organised from hotels to the Justus Lipsius building. Media representatives can find information on public transport in Brussels on the following website: http://www.stib.be
The conference venue is close to the Schuman metro station
For updates on the summit go to http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/international- summit/2018/10/18-19/
Information on the summit will also be disseminated on social media. Hashtags used will be #ASEM12
For questions related to the content/issues discussed at the summit:
Spokesperson of President Tusk:
Preben Aamann, tel. +32 2 281 51 50, +32 476 85 05 43 email@example.com
Jüri Laas, tel. +32 2 281 55 23, +32 470 95 75 61 firstname.lastname@example.org
Alain Taverriti, tel. + 32 2 281 36 84, + 32 475 63 59 62 email@example.com
For questions on press centre/accreditation/other practical issues :
Press centre of the General Secretariat of the Council: Tel. +32 (0)2 281 90 00; firstname.lastname@example.org