note that the following information is but a brief outline of the
requirements of and procedures for getting married in Indonesia and that
you should always consult your Embassy or Consulate General in
Indonesia as well as the marriage authorities in Indonesia for more
detailed information before you make any further plans.
Checklist Information for Getting Married in Indonesia
- Valid passports (each passport being valid for a minimum 6 months as from the date of entry into Indonesia).
- Valid visas to enter Indonesia.
Certificates (if a copy, and not the original, then the copy must be
legalized by a solicitor or by the individual’s Embassy/ Consulate
General in Indonesia).
- Minimum age to get married: 16 years or over for female, and 19 years or over for male.
- Letter from both sets of parents/guardians, stating that there are no objections to the marriage.
- Legalized written statements confirming the status of each individual (single/ widow/ widower/ divorcee etc.).
from the couple’s Church (if the couple are both Christians and members
of a church and wish to be married in a church in Indonesia).
one or both persons wishes to convert to Islam and be married according
to Islamic Law, the marriage must be reported and registered with the
Religious Affairs Office (Kantor Urusan Agama) in Indonesia. If the
marriage is to be a Christian one, the marriage must be reported and
registered with the Civil Registration Office (Kantor Catatan Sipil) in
- The Offices in Indonesia authorized to perform such marriages:
Please be advised that each region in Indonesia has different customs/ traditions when conducting wedding ceremoniesTo
ensure that your marriage in Indonesia is valid and legal in
Switzerland, please make sure that you are given a marriage certificate
or other documentation as proof that you have been legally married in
Indonesia. Since most of the documents will be written in the Indonesian
language, please be advised that all documentation must be translated
by a sworn and authorized German or French or Italian languages
translator in Indonesia before you return to Switzerland (depends in
which Canton you reside). After Arriving in Switzerland, you must take
this translated document/certificate to your local marriage registration
office to be registered.
- The Religious Affairs Office (Kantor Urusan Agama) and the Mosque for Moslems;
- The Civil Registration Office (Kantor Catatan Sipil) and the Church for Christians.