The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship (IACS) has been conducted since 2003 with participants from many countries, including Germany. In the period of 2003 to 2013, the scholarship has been awarded to 518 alumni from 55 countries.
The program aims to encourage better understanding amongst participants from other countries through Indonesia’s immensely diverse art and cultural heritage. It lso aims to cultivate a cultural of cooperation, emerging from direct contact and sharing of cultures amongst people involved in the program, leading to thriving diplomatic relations in the region and worldwide.
The non-degree arts and culture scholarship is offered for three months period of time, starting on 2 March to 15 June 2015.
The scholarship will cover:
- Tuition fee (including extra-curricular activities);
- A round trip economy class ticket;
- Accommodation (board and lodging);
- Health insurance (limited). All awardees are advised to have their own health insurance.
- Monthly allowance of Rp. 1.500.000,-.
In order to deepen the awardees’ understanding of Indonesian arts and culture, and to enhance their skills for the final performance, awardees will be divided and assigned by the organising committee to different arts centers in several parts of Indonesia for the duration of approximately 3 (three) months, located in Bandung, West Java; Denpasar, Bali; Makassar, South Sulawesi; Solo, Central Java; Surabaya, East Java.
Awardees will live within or around the arts center, allowing them the chance to experience the local heritage and interact with the local community. Synergy between theory and practices shared inside and outside the art center would undoubtedly become the driving force for shaping international cultures and norms, and will eventually strengthen regional as well as global understanding and cooperation at a people-to-people level.
Prior to their residency at art centres, awardees should participate in one week orientation in Jakarta and will learn issues such as the Aim and Objectives of the Scholarship; Introduction to Indonesian Culture; Indonesian contemporary arts and cultures, Information about the activities and curriculum offered by the art centers.
All awardees will perform in an arts and cultural night titled “Indonesia Channel” to remark the closing of the scholarship program. The “Indonesia Channel” is scheduled to be held on 11 June 2015. Awardees will return back to their respective countries on the following days.
For more information please download the information material.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 21 to 30 years-old with at least a high school diploma;
- Candidates must be proficient in English. A minimum skill in Bahasa Indonesia will be an advantage for candidates;
- Candidates should possess high interest in Indonesian or Asian Studies. Students or those with an academic history on Indonesian studies are encouraged to apply;
- Bearing in mind the intensity of the program, candidates are highly advised to ensure prime physical conditions, particularly for female candidates to ensure that they do not conceive prior and during the program;
How to Apply
Due to limited space and the vast amount of interest in the program, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia through with the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Berlin will hold a series of selection processes.
Candidates must submit it:
- Candidates must complete the application form (attached).
- 3 (three) passport-sized photographs;
- A photo-copy of passport with validity period at least two years;
- A photo-copy of academic diploma;
- A photo-copy of the latest valid health certification from a qualified medical practitioner. On the day of leaving the origin country, participants should equipped themselves with a valid health certification from a qualified medical practitioner;
- A motivation letter in English;
- A letter of recommendation;
- A personal statement declaring the following:
- the willingness to be subject to Indonesian laws and regulations during his/her stay in Indonesia;
- the willingness to follow all the rules and regulations set up by the organizing committee and learning center;
- the willingness to accept the facilities provided by the organizing committee and learning center and stay at the designated accommodations;
- not to work or be employed for financial benefits during the program;
- the willingness to follow the travel arrangements arranged by the organizing committee to and from Indonesia;
- the willingness to participate in all the program arranged by the organising committee and learning center, unless, during the program, declared unfit by a qualified medical practitioner;
- the willingness to leave Indonesia immediately after the closing ceremony, at a date determined by the organizing committee.
- should the participants withdraw their participation during the course of the program, they will get financial penalty and should finance their own travel expenses.
The deadline for potential applicants to send their submissions to the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Berlin is 24 October 2014.
Completed application form and required documents be submitted to The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Berlin by e-mail: email@example.com
or by mail to:
Information, Socio-Cultural Affairs
The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Berlin
Lehrter Straße 16-17
For further info, please contact Information and Socio-Cultural Affairs of the Embassy.