(17 January 2012) H.E. Mrs. Nahari Agustini, Indonesian Ambassador to Turkey and currently Chair of the ASEAN-Ankara Committee (AAC), composed of five ASEAN Ambassadors (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam), handed over today the AAC chairmanship to H.E. Mr. Dato Saipul Anuar Abd. Muin, Ambassador of Malaysia, for the term of January-December 2012.
Today’s luncheon meeting (5th AAC Meeting) of ASEAN Ambassadors hosted by Indonesian Ambassador to mark the hand-over of the ASEAN-Ankara Committee (AAC) Chairmanship from Indonesia to Malaysia and was attended by ASEAN Ambassadors and other officials from the ASEAN missions in Ankara, Turkey.
As chair, throughout 2011, Indonesian Embassy coordinated with other ASEAN Embassy in Turkey have conducted events in Ankara and also outside Ankara in order to bring ASEAN closer to the public since this is also a priority to make ASEAN as people-centered and people-oriented organization.
The list of activities from ASEAN-Ankara Committee (AAC) during the Indonesian Chairmanship (19 January 2011-17 January 2012) are as follows:
- On February 2011, the AAC Ambassadors have held a Courtesy Call to the Deputy Undersecretary Ambassador Fatih Ceylan and Director General for Bilateral Political Affairs Ambassador Hayret Yalav in the Turkish MFA.
- Under the AAC, The Philippine Embassy successfully organized the ASEAN Diplomats' Friendly Bowling Tournament at the Joyland Bowling Center in Panora Shopping Malll, March 12, 2011.
- On April 2011, Indonesia Embassy held a Farewell Luncheon for the previous Thailand Ambassador, H.E. Mrs. Arbhorn Manasvanich.
- On June 2011, under the provision of the Vietnam Embassy, The ASEAN Ambassador and the ASEAN Ankara Committee have conducted a successful working visit to Izmir, which was extensively covered by the Turkish press, involved courtesy calls on Mayor of Izmir, Mr. Aziz Kocaoglu and the Izmir Chamber of Commerce (ITO) Vice President, Mr. Akin Kazancoglu.
- The 4th AAC Meeting was held on 11 October 2011 at the Ambassador of Indonesia's Residence to discuss the remaining AAC programs for the year 2011.
- The 1st Working Group (WG) in Preparation for the ASEAN Seminar was held on 9 January 2012 at the Royal Thai Embassy to discuss the preparation of the ASEAN Seminar that will be held in 2012.
On her remarks, Indonesian Ambassador conveyed her gratitute and appreciation for the support and cooperation given by other ASEAN Ambasssadors and Embassies during her assignment. The ASEAN Ambassadors highly appreciate the fullfilment of the task and activities that had been done during the Indonesia Chairmanship in 2011.
AAC chairmanship rotates every 1 (one) year and Malaysia will start its tenure as the AAC Chairmanship in 2012. All the AAC Ambassadors pledges to stand ready to assist Malaysia for a successful Chairmanship in 2012. (syk)