DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
The Bali Democracy Forum II
‘Promoting Synergy between Democracy and Development in Asia: Prospects for Regional Cooperation’
The Bali Democracy Forum I was successfully held in Bali on 10-11 December 2008. In conjunction with the successful forum, Indonesia has taken yet another initiative to organize the Bali Democracy Forum II (BDF II), in Bali, Indonesia, from 10-11 December 2009.
BDF II 2009 will be attended by Head of States, Ministers, and High Level Government Officials. It is aimed at promoting regional international cooperation in the field of democracy and political development amongst countries in Asia. This is not an exclusive forum among democracies, but an inclusive and open forum for countries of Asia to share their experiences and best practices in fostering democracy.
The Bali Democracy Forum is expected to contribute to the pursuit of the democratic ideals through dialogue and practical cooperation. It is an institution dedicated to promote regional and international cooperation in the field of democracy. In turn, it is expected to strengthen democratic institutions at the national level and, therefore, it will also bridge the gaps in political development in Asia. This annual high-level forum of foreign ministers and prominent figures is designed to facilitate dialogue and cooperation in national capacity building of both countries of democracy and those aspiring to be more democratic.
Countries that have scheduled to participate are among others Afghanistan, Australia, Iraq, Malaysia, Myanmar, Japan, Tajikistan, Timor Leste, and Vanuatu. Observing countries that have given great interest to attend are the United States, Norwegia, and the Netherlands.
The theme of BDF II is Promoting Synergy between Democracy and Development in Asia: Prospects for Regional Cooperation. The President of the Republic of Indonesia, Dr. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, is scheduled to officially open the Bali Democracy Forum II.
a. Key Dates for Media Accreditation
21 November 2009 : Media Registration opens
5 December 2009 : Media Registration (online) closed
9 December 2009 : Issuance of ID Pass
b. Media representatives interested in covering the BDF II can send the registration form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
c. All Media personnel interested in covering the event must register using the Media Registration form.
d. How to register:
1) Complete the Media Registration Form (click to download form
2) Email the completed form along with soft copies of the following items to email@example.com
• Letter of assignment from the Editor/Executive of the media;
• Digital Passport size colour photograph;
• Valid ID card/press card 2009 and Passport (valid for at least 6 months upon entry into Indonesia).
3) An acknowledgement will be sent by email to media applicants after all required documents have been completed and received by the Media Secretariat. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
4) An email notification together with an ID number will be sent to confirm successful media accreditation.
5) Successful applicants are requested to bring along a copy of the confirmation letter with the ID number and to present them to the BDF II Media Secretariat for registration.
3. Visa Requirement
Successful applicants who are not based in Jakarta are required to print and bring along the copy of the confirmation letter to apply for a journalist visa at the nearest Indonesian Embassy/Representative Offices.
4. Collection of Accreditation Pass (ID)
Accreditation badges (ID) may be collected at the BDF II Media Secretariat at the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua, Room Singaraja I, starting 9th December 2009. ID must be worn at all times in a visible spot and will be required for entry into venues that are accessible to the Media.
5. Media Pool
For covering the Opening Ceremony and other ‘Open Session’ events, Media personnel will be given access to enter the venues. However, in the event the space availability does not permit, a media pool may be applied. In this regards, special media passes will be issued and must be worn at all times together with ID badges. Others may observe or follow the events at the media center where CCTV is provided.
6. Media Center
• The Media Center will be located at the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua, Room Singaraja I, and will be operational starting on the 10th December 2009 at 10 a.m. Selected documentation including statements, speeches, press materials and announcement will be available at the Media Center.
• The Media Secretariat at the Media Center will arrange Press Conference, Press Briefing, and Press Interview. Media Secretariat will also facilitate the media for interviews with other delegates on ‘first-come, first-served’ basis.
• The Media Center will provide computers with internet access.
7. Accommodation and Travel Arrangements
Media representatives will be responsible for their own travel arrangements, reservation and payments of hotel/accommodation. The media are strongly urged to make reservation as soon as possible. Information on the list of the participating hotels in support of the conference can be viewed at the list below.
8. Customs Clearance Requirement
The lists of equipment must be legalized by the nearest Indonesian Embassy/Representative offices for importation and exportation purpose.
9. For further information regarding media facilities, please contact:
1) Sam E. Marentek (Department of Foreign Affairs)
Mobile: +62 813 8848 9913
2) Andi Syamsurijal Usman (Department of Foreign Affairs)
Mobile: +62 812 3947 9249
3) Listiana Operananta (Department of Foreign Affairs)
Mobile: +62 816 1357 515
4) Fauziah Rahmah Muin (Department of Foreign Affairs)
Mobile: +62 817 756 234
List of Recommended Hotels in Nusa Dua Bali