According to Government Decree No: 41/2006, every foreign university, research institute, enterprise, and individuals are welcome to conduct research in Indonesia. They are encouraged to participate in R & D activities in order to develop Science and Technology cooperation and finally increase science and technology transfer in Indonesia. Foreign researchers who will conduct research in Indonesia have to involve local scientist as counterpart from local university, research institute or non-government organization who has competency in the research topic.
For every foreign/non-Indonesian citizen researcher who plans to conduct research within Indonesian territory, prior to the passage, he or she should apply individually for receiving a research permit from the Minister for Research and Technology. Without such consent, any research activity by a foreigner is illegal.
The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Houston would not be able to process research visa without an official notification or a formal approval from the State Ministry of Research and Technology and the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights, Directorate General of Immigration.
For more information, see www.frp.ristek.go.id or www.ristek.go.id then go to "foreign research permit" page. Since 4th July 2011, registration is strongly recommended to be done through the Online Registration System. However, at the time being, applications by post or email are still accepted.
The Complete Application Must Be Addressed To :
The Secretariat of Foreign Research
Office of Coordination Team of Foreign Researcher Clearance
The State Ministry of Research and Technology– Republic of Indonesia
The 2nd building of BPPT, 8th floor
Jl. M.H Thamrin No.8 Jakarta 10340
Tel : (+62-21) 316-9293
Fax : (+62-21) 3983-6180
Email : email@example.com (for communication and sending soft copy documents).
The Office may assist the applicant with proper clearance and authorization from related agencies including immigration in Indonesia. Please verify this matter to the Office regarding the necessary document that need to be required for further assistance. Non-US Citizen applicants who hold certain US Visa may not be processed at the Embassy/Consulate Generals (read the requirements)
General Requirement for Research Visa :
A foreign researcher who holds Letter of Foreign Research Permit from the State Ministry of Research and Technology and The Directorate General of Immigration, Ministry Of Justice and Human Right might apply for research visa. Research Visa Applicant should be completed with the attachments below:
Ones set of Application Research Document consist of:
- A formal letter addressed to The Ministry of Research and Technology, c.q. Secretary to the Minister for Research and Technology. A copy of this letter, which is designated to the Indonesian Representative abroad where the researcher will obtain the visa, must also be enclosed.
- A copy of research proposal contains at least: title, objectives, methodology, location, and duration of the research in Indonesia.
- A copy of abstract on the research proposal.
- A copy of the researcher's passport which must be valid until at least six months after the completion of the proposed research.
- A copy of the curriculum vitae (CV) of the researcher(s).
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) between the researcher and his/her Indonesian counterpart are needed if the researcher plans to take specimen or samples to analyze either in his/her home country or in Indonesia.
- 2 (two) letters of recommendation from: [a] professor or researcher supervisor and [b] official letter of recognition issued by the institution or university where the researcher(s) works.
- A recommendation letter from a related Indonesian representative abroad. This letter is issued by the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate, upon receiving the application from the foreign researcher, and will be forwarded to the Ministry of Research and Technology.
- A letter(s) of support from Indonesian counterpart(s).
- Health certificate from legal-practicing medical-doctor stating that the researcher is both physically and mentally capable to conduct the research.
- A letter guaranteeing sufficient fund to cover research and living expenses during conducting research in Indonesia.
- A list of research equipments that will be brought to Indonesia, along brief technical specification and mention the estimated value for each equipment on use.
- If the researcher plans to bring his/her spouse and children, he/she should submit a copy of marriage certificate or other citizen partnership certificate, child (children) birth certificate(s), copies of his/her family passports, and 4 (four) recent close-up photographs of each family member
- Application form (in duplicate) must be completed and signed by the applicant. The application form could be downloaded from the Consulate website. Types of visa which might be used for research are VITAS number 315.
- Original passport contains at least two blank visa page. Amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa purposes. Validity/Expiration date of the passport must be at least 6 months for single entry visa and 18 months for multiple entry visa at the date of entry into Indonesia.
- Four recent color photographs (passport size) on picture-quality papers with clear background.
- Copy of return ticket or itinerary to and from Indonesia.
For Visa application by mail, please read carefully :
- Before you mail the application, please remember that the application must be send along with the applicant's passport. The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia, Houston would attach the visa (sticker) in the passport. No passport no visa.
- Visa application by mail should enclose a self-stamped and addressed envelope for Express Mail only. The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia, Houston will not process a visa application by mail unless there is an enclosed a self-stamped return envelope.
- The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia, Houston is not responsible for any applications or passports that are lost in transit.
- Amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa purposes. Check your passport for a blank visa page. Please be advised that Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia, Houston will return your application and passport if we found there are no blank visa pages on the passport. This would delay your application processing.
The Visa fee is US$ 55.00 (for up to 6 months) and US$ 105.00 (for more than 6 months) may be paid by Money Order from US Postal Service or Company Check payable to Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia. Cash and Personal Check would not be accepted.
For More Information on How to Apply, Applicants should directly contact to :Information and Cultural Division,Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia, Houston10900 Richmond Avenue, Houston, TX 77042Phone : 1 (713) 785 1691 ext. 109 and 106.Fax : 1 (713) 780 9644email : firstname.lastname@example.org The Secretariat of Foreign ResearchOffice of Coordination Team of Foreign Researcher ClearanceThe State Ministry of Research and Technology– Republic of IndonesiaThe 2nd building of BPPT, 8th floorJl. M.H Thamrin No.8 Jakarta 10340Tel : (+62-21) 316-9293Fax : (+62-21) 3983-6180Email : email@example.comThe Indonesian Representative (Embassy & Consulate Generals) hold the right to deny any applicant that deemed ineligible without disclosing the reason.