Denpasar, Bali: Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika met on Wednesday (4/10) with representatives from 35 foreign consulates in Bali to discuss the continuing situation on volcanic Mount Agung.
At the meeting, the Governor told the foreign consuls that visitors to Bali do not need to worry about the conditions on Mount Agung. He said that in the event of an eruption of Mount Agung, only 28 villagers in the Regency of Karangasem living in the foothills surrounding the mountain are considered in danger. All the residents of these communities have been evacuated to temporary evacuee centers until the condition subsides.
The government has identified a radius of 12-kilometers from the mountain's peak as areas that need to be evacuated.
Separately, the Governor has emphasized that the densely populated tourist areas of Bali and the Island's airport are some 60-kilometers to the south of Mt. Agung – well removed from any region considered under threat from an eruption.
Underlining the limited scope of any threat, the Governor said popular tourist areas such as Candidasa and to the South of Mt. Agung, are in an area deemed safe for tourist activities. Even further to the south, Denpasar, Sanur, Nusa Dua, and Kuta are not in harms way from an eruption.
And, in any case, the Governor said all major departments of the national and provincial governments have put in place contingency plans that contemplate every scenario in the event of an eruption. The Governor is certain that there will be no loss of life from any eruption providing people avoid the 12-kilometer "no go" zone.
The Governor said plans are also in place in the event volcanic ash causes a temporary closing of Bali's Ngurah Rai Airport, including land transportation from Bali to the nearest operating airport.
Pastika is calling for the media only to reference reliable sources in reporting on Mount Agung. He bemoaned that a large amount of unreliable information about the mountain being posted on the Internet. He urged the international community not to worry unduly about the safety of visiting Bali.
The governor asked that countries issuing travel warnings about Bali should reconsider those warnings as Bali remains safe for travel. (source: Pemprov Bali/Dit.Infomed/
Mount Agung's Emergency Alert Status Extended, No Impacts on Tourists
Mount Agung's emergency alert status has been extended until 15 October 2017, considering the tendency of increased volcanic activity. This extended emergency alert status was stated by the Head of BNPB (Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana/Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management), Willem Rampangilei in the press statement at the command post of Mount Agung's Emergency Management Base, on Thursday (5/10).
Until Thursday (5/10) at 6 pm ICST, a total of 146,797 evacuees has been relocated to over 427 points in 9 regencies. The significant increase in evacuees was due to psychological factor community in the vicinity who felt threatened, and evacuate even though their locations were safe.
The Head of BNPB further said that currently 28 villages were included in the danger zone. The Government, therefore, appeal to people living outside the 28 villages to immediately return to their homes.
The Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG), the Geological Agency of the Ministry for Energy and Mineral Resources has set 9 km as the dangerous-prone zone and 12 km as the sectoral dangerous zone.
The 9 km radius zone would be affected by volcanic materials released in case of eruption. Whereas the 12 km radius zone is the area that would be affected by volcanic ash which would be hazardous for the health.
Based on its geographical location, Mount Agung located far from the dense population area of Bali Island. Out of 78 villages in Karangasem Regency, there are only 14 villages that directly affected by the possibility of eruption so far. The other 64 villages are declared within the safe zone for residents and tourists.
According to the Head of the Center of Data, Information and Public Relations of BNPB, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the latest situation on Mount Agung can be accessed through the following website and social media: